- Latest evolution in transponder technology that will avoid the
duplication of keys that will not work.
- The TD3A automatically detects the presence of a transponder in
any key it tests.
- Many transponder equipped keys look identical to non-transponder
keys which therefore makes it difficult to see any visible
difference between them.
- Without the TD3A you can make the mistake of duplicating a key
that will operate the mechanical lock but will not start the
- To prevent loss of customer goodwill and a key blank, the
process is made simple.
- By positioning a sample key and pressing the test button, the
TD3A will automatically check the key.
- A green LED tells you the detector is working, even if there is
no transponder in the sample key.
- A red LED will light up if a transponder is identified and
- The TD3A detects Megamos, Texas Instruments, Motorola, Temic,
and Ilco Unicanís neutral T5.
|How do I know that transponder technology will be around for a
- Transponder systems have been in use in Europe for over five
years and in the United States for over four years.
- Insurance companies initiated the change and with the high
success rates against stolen vehicles, this system has been viewed
as very effective.
- The system is far more secure and desired than VATS, which is
evident by the number of models and manufacturers that have
adopted transponder technology.
|Will all transponder systems in the future change to rolling
- Europe has been at the leading edge of transponder technology.
The United States seems to be following by 12-18 months.
- Based on trends in Europe, the only manufacturers using this
technology are Mercedes and BMW. This is the same situation in the
- There is no guarantee, but it is not an immediate issue.
|Why is the TD3A an important tool for transponder servicing?
- Many vehicles have switched to transponder systems, but it is
not always obvious if an original key contains a
- As a result, transponder keys are being duplicated on
- These keys will not work and waste both your time and your
- Searching an application chart may not help to determine if a
transponder system is present because it may be an option for that
- The TD3A is a quick and easy method for identifying if the
original or the blank selected to duplicate have a transponder in
the head of the key.
|Why does my TD3A give an incorrect type of chip reading if the
key is placed in the device down?
- The orientation of the transponder is critical and if it is not
located in the normal position the TD3A may pick up an incorrect